I'm better than you

Out at dinner with my best friend one time, we were toasting or something...and I was a drink or so in...I paused, looked at her and said, "I'm better than you". There is nothing more that I have learned this past month then how much I believe 'I'm better than you'.


Ya see the only person who can tell you, 'You Can't' is yourself
The only person who can make you unmotivated is yourself,
Undetermined, yourself
That failure is the only option...yourself.

I have always believed in setting goals...evaluating them during the year and adjusting to make goals accomplished. About 5 years ago I started to run because it was an easy out. An easy out to life, school, stress, drama, and having to make choices. I think that I had so much to deal with that I ran one day for about 10 miles (I truly felt like Forest Gump). I just wanted to keep running till life emptied itself from me so that I could start refreshed. After awhile I got to thinking: 'Why the hell am I running this much for? Why not do some wonderful things, like run races'. So I did. I signed up for my first 10K race and let me tell you, I may have been passed by a ton of people but I finished. I felt so good about myself...that I could do anything with motivation from myself.

About 6 days ago I woke up one morning free from the pain that I have felt for a while. Most of it started because I was channeling it in another direction: running. Thinking to myself, what is your goal? You know you love to run and train, let's do something with it. So on June 18th, 2011 I will run my first marathon (26.2 miles). This has been a goal for me after I ran my 10K and 1/2 Marathon 3 years ago.

Yesterday (Now last Sunday) I had one of the best runs in awhile. *Side note*, another reason I love running is because it is like another form of dancing. I get to listen to music and move my feet to the rhythm.* Before my run I put a play list together for about 40 minutes worth of running.
Pon De Replay
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Hold my Hand
Jump in the Line
Here We Go
Survivor
Fighter
Thank You
Caramel
And a few other songs...but some of the songs were great motivators.

Anyhow while I was running I had this great philosophical idea and it has since passed. But I think the main thing that I got from the run was the feeling that 'I'm better than you', when I decide to not let another person, choice, object, or anything stop me from moving myself in a better direction.

Comments