Above all else...

As part of the New Year I want to allow God to continue to break the walls and barriers to my heart so that He can use me wherever and however. It has been something that I have disregarded until now. Until I have seen a great friend have a marriage destroyed but hopeful to save it in a Godly way. I have seen her make rational and not so rational choices, but in the end she has always wanted to do what is right in her heart. For that she will always be my good friend!
As I am reading the book ‘Captivating’, I stumbled upon a paragraph about how sometimes we have been hurt and want to shut ‘life’ out but no matter what we can’t do that forever because we are relational beings, ‘we long to be an irreplaceable part of a shared journey’ (12). That is exactly right, for me at least. I try so hard to be a hermit and shut people out because of a scared past. But deep inside I want to share an adventure with someone. To some extent we all do this too. Some people more than others I think.
Then the verse of it all came from Proverbs 4:23 ‘Above all else guard your heart for it is the well-spring of life’ If God’s word is hidden in my heart then it is guarded from the past and can love the Jesus way. So that is my prayer, that I hide my heart in Christ and it will be free to love.

Comments